What Makes Turtles & Tortoises Special?There are many reasons why turtles and tortoises make great pets. Here are some of the main reasons you would want to bring them home from our store.
- They are Easy: These reptiles are easier to care for when provided the right habitat and are quiet. They are also relatively small.
- Simpler Mealtime: They are not picky eaters. Most of them are omnivorous and can thrive on fresh greens and feeder fish or worms. You can also feed them pelleted diets.
- Versatile Habitat: You can maintain them in outdoor pens or ponds or indoor habitats. When it comes to water turtles, they require at least 20 gallons of water and adults may require a 55-gallon aquarium.
- They Love Sunlight: These animals love exposure to sunlight.
- They Have a Personality: Every turtle or tortoise has a personality. Some can grow to be friendly and even like to be picked up. Some can also feed from your hand. They are good at becoming part of the family and roam freely around the house.
Turtles and tortoises can live much longer than other pets. So, when you choose one from us, you will be making a friend for life.
Tips for Caring TurtlesBefore you get a turtle or tortoise from us, we would like you to know a little more about them. Turtles require at least a 30-gallon aquarium. They will mostly require water and some land to bask in. They eat vegetables, insects, and turtle food, and this varies according to the species. Some of the varieties popular with pet owners include:
- African aquatic sideneck
- Painted turtles
- Central American wood turtle
- Caspian Pond turtle
- Red-eared slider
Tips For Caring For TortoisesTortoises need at least a 40-gallon or larger terrarium. While they will not swim, you must provide them with a bowl containing shallow water. Tortoises are creatures of warm conditions. They need a certain amount of heat and humidity that varies according to the species. These reptiles are mostly herbivores and prefer fruits, vegetables, and tortoise food. Some of the popular varieties include:
- CB cherry head red-footed tortoise
- CB red-footed tortoise
- Russian tortoise
- Green tortoise
At Nebraska Aquatic Supply, we are the largest independent fish-only store in Omaha and the surrounding areas. We also offer a large selection of corals, tortoises, and turtles. From consultation to setting up the aquarium or terrarium and maintaining the habitat, we provide a wide range of services. We can assist you with creating the perfect habitat including the lighting, heat, rocks, and other elements for your turtle or tortoise. If you want to learn more about our services and the species we offer, call us at 402-934-8206 or write to us.