Live Amphibians (Frogs)
Why Are Pet Frogs Special?Frogs are slick reptiles and are perfect for anyone who is an amphibian aficionado. You can find species that make highly active climbers, swimmers, and jumpers. They can be entertaining to watch for everyone including veterans and new pet parents. Explore our colony of croakers to find the one that is perfect to bring home.
Creating Your Amphibian HabitatAmphibians have various habitat-related unique requirements. These requirements vary based on the species.
- The right-sized habitat will have to be created to accommodate the behavior and exercise of the species.
- Consider factors such as plants, temperature, lighting, hideaways, heating, and substrates.
- Frogs produce mucus and rely on the moisture absorbed through the skin to maintain their health.
- Provide them with the right-sized water bowl to submerge in.
Handling Amphibian PetsIt is important to know that frogs, toads, and other amphibians don’t like to be handled much. It is best not to handle them to avoid the oil or residue on your hands from getting onto their skin. Remember, these little croakers absorb oxygen through their skin.
Also keep in mind that some species also release toxins through their skin as a form of defense. This is rare with the species we offer but some can cause minor skin irritations. If you are going to handle them, use latex gloves and wash your hands before and after.
Caring for AmphibiansProper care can enable your pet amphibian to live out its normal lifespan. This requires proper maintenance of diet and feeding routine.
- While diets depend on the species, frogs will usually consume insects such as mealworms, crickets, and fruit flies.
- Some carnivore species can eat goldfish or even frozen/thawed rodents.
- The feeding routine and the need for supplements depend on the species.
At Nebraska Aquatic Supply, we suggest that you discuss the caring and habitat needs of your pet frogs with us before placing the order. We are your one-stop freshwater and saltwater fish, amphibian, and reptile store in Omaha, NE. Our goal is to provide our clients with a wide selection of fish, corals, amphibians, reptiles, and other pets, and food and habitat supplies. We are the largest independent fish-only store in the region and occasionally have rare and unique fish. From consultation to aquarium and terrarium set-up and maintenance services, we offer all the information and support you will require in owning these little pets. For more information about our services, call us at 402-934-8206 or write to us.